Thursday, January 19, 2006

Every which way

Today is a day in which I'm pulled every which way. Sounds like the beginning of a Dr. Seuss book, but it's how I feel. A Greek exam looming, two sermons next week, not to mention the beginning of a new church year with new leaders...oh yeah, and a baby coming soon too and so much to get ready for! It's just one of those days.

In times like this, I need to pray more than ever--because I need to remember what I do is not who I am. During calmer times, I can succeed at lots of things and it becomes tempting to identify myself with my achievements. But during the busiest of times, when I'm quite sure I will not fulfill every expectation flawlessly, I need to remember that I am not the sum total of my successes and failures. I am more than that--I am a child of God.

And I only remember that when I take time to center in and pray. I actually stand a better chance of doing all that stuff well when I remember who I am and have a secure identity with which to reach out in love to the world.

The funny thing is that I will find any excuse in the world--but especially busy-ness--to push prayer to the margins of life if not off the page completely. May it not be so in this busiest of times.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home