Tuesday, June 13, 2006

2 Corinthians 3:16

...but when one turns to the Lord, the veil is removed.

Have you ever looked back at a situation and realized you have been a complete and total idiot? It happens to me far more often than I’d like to admit. On more than one occasion I have congratulated women on being pregnant who were not pregnant. I’ve told a proud dad what a beautiful daughter he has only to find out he has a son. When I run into road construction that closes a lane, I promptly get out of the left lane and harrumph and honk self-righteously at cars that zip around when I discover that it is the right lane that is closing.

We all do things like this. And it often happens when I don’t have all the facts about something. When I get the facts, an “Aha!” moment happens and I realize the error of my ways (and I can scramble about to correct myself).

Paul says something similar about our turning to Christ here. Alluding to Moses in Exodus 34, Paul believes that those who live without Christ have an incomplete knowledge of sorts. Just as I live differently once I get all the facts, so Paul believes that those who turn to Christ will have their veil removed and be empowered to live differently, live better.

Turning to the Lord is the business of our whole lives. It is a process of slow yielding, sometimes gentle, sometimes difficult. Yet it has one purpose: removing the veil. We are called on to live life with an unveiled face, choosing reality in Christ over the different veils we sometimes choose: our consumer culture, our preferences, our own sense of ourselves. All of these things blur the image of Christ in us and sometimes block it out completely. We are called on to seek the Lord persistently that we may see things as they are.

1 Comments:

Blogger Faith said...

hi my name is faith, I found your blog by random ink, gd blogg, but I have some questions/comments if you don't mind.
I agree with what you are saying but some times it is easier said than done. sometimes "removing the veil" is alot harder than people think.
anyway nice blogg you should check out mine if you want

2:14 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home