Wednesday, December 20, 2006

Advent Devotion for Wednesday, December 20

Based on Luke 1:26-38 (read it here: http://bible.oremus.org/?ql=33639085 )


Luke intentionally plants this story of Zechariah and the story of Mary back to back to reveal the differences in the way they responded to unbelievable news. The angel Gabriel visited each one and gave them the same news: “You are going to have a son.” In each case, the news was hard to believe. In Zechariah’s case, experience told him this was unlikely: their previous attempts at having children had been unsuccessful, and Elizabeth was getting old. In Mary’s case, inexperience told her this was unlikely: Mary was a virgin, and after all, sex is normally a requirement for becoming a parent.

Yet while their circumstances were very similar, their responses could not have been more different. Said Zechariah, “How will I know that this is so?” In essence, Zechariah looks for proof. He wants the angel to give him some sort of obvious supernatural token to show him that this is indeed true. Perhaps the angel will show him God’s glory or speak in some heavenly tongue that will demonstrate that this is true.

But Mary says, “How will this be, since I am a virgin?” Where Zechariah asks for proof, Mary simply wants to know how God is going to do this amazing thing. Certainly, it is unusual and beyond Mary’s comprehension. But rather than being like Zechariah and seeking proof and reassurance, Mary wants to know more about God’s way. How is God going to do this amazing thing? Tell me more, Gabriel; I want to know how God is going to do this. Zechariah’s response reveals a self-centered heart, anxious for assurance; Mary’s heart is wide open to what God wants to do and wants to know more about God’s ways.

Suppose I told you that God wants to do a great work in your heart. Even if I have not told you that in so many words, it is true! God has a plan for each of us that is no less noble or exciting–or invasive–than his plan for Elizabeth and Mary. Suppose I told you that God wanted to make you into something you could not imagine–this too is true.

Some would respond like Zechariah, and doubt whether or not this is true. Don’t you know, Michael, that I am just an ordinary person living in an ordinary suburb looking for an ordinary church? You’re young, Michael, and you are zealous, but you don’t understand me. Prove to me that this is what God wants to do, Michael–I don’t think you can.

But some would respond like Mary–how is God going to do this? What might this look like in my life? How might God want to use me? What gifts do I have he can take and shape and use? How might God transform me? What great thing might God have created me for?

The Mary-like people are obviously very rewarding to a pastor. And I believe they are rewarding to an angel too, and to the God that sends angels. I pray that each of us may have Mary-like faith and believe God can do amazing things in our lives.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home