Thursday, February 09, 2006

Worship on Sunday, Feb 12

The worship service is planned for this Sunday, February 12. The Scripture text of the morning is 1 Corinthians 9:19-23:

"For though I am free with respect to all, I have made myself a slave to all, so that I might win more of them.
To the Jews, I became as a Jew, in order to win the Jews. To those under the law, I became as one under the law (though I am not myself under the law) so that I might win those under the law.
To those outside the law, I became as one outside the law (though I am not free from God's law but am under Christ's law) so that I might win those outside the law. To the weak I became weak, so that I might win the weak.
I have become all things to all people, that I might by all means save some. I do it all for the sake of the gospel, so that I may share in its blessings."

The theme of the service is allowing Christ in--by imitating him and knowing him, our hearts can be healed. Then we can be the kind of person that Paul was, able to care for all people and love them completely.

The hymns we will sing are "Lift Up Your Heads, O Mighty Gates," "Take My Life and Let it Be" and "Jesus, the Very Thought of Thee," all older hymns.

Some suggestions to prepare for worship:
  • Meditate on and/or memorize the Scripture passage. It is a tricky one this week, and can be a bit confusing. By memorizing and meditating, we write it on our hearts so we can gain from the preached word on Sunday.
  • Read through the lyrics of the hymns. (If you don't have a hymnal, just google the titles and you'll find them somewhere.) How do these hymns fit with the theme? What might they have to say to you?
  • Pray for those who lead (musicians, choir, lay leader and preacher) and those who worship in the congregation.

Join us for worship on Sunday!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home