Thursday, March 23, 2006

Worship this Sunday, March 26

Hi all—I’m looking forward to worship this Sunday. Throughout worship, we’ll be focusing on desiring the Christ-centered life. During Lent, we want to focus in on the ways in which we can create space for Christ in our lives. So we’ll be singing some new (to us) songs, including “God Himself Is With Us,” a 1729 Gerhard Tersteegen poem. The second verse reads:

Come, abide within me;
Let my soul, like Mary,
Be Thine earthly sanctuary.
Come, indwelling Spirit,
With transfigured splendor;
Love and honor I will render.
Where I go
Here below
Let me bow before Thee,
Know Thee and adore Thee.

We also will be singing the modern praise song “Sanctuary:”
Lord, prepare me
To be a sanctuary,
Pure and holy,
Tried and true.
With thanksgiving
I’ll be a living
Sanctuary for you.

We’ll close with Charles Wesley’s “Jesus, Lover of My Soul.” The second verse:
Other refuge have I none;
Hangs my helpless soul on Thee.
Leave, ah! leave me not alone,
Still support and comfort me.
All my trust on Thee is stayed,
All my help from Thee I bring;
Cover my defenseless head
With the shadow of Thy wing.

In these songs, we are longing for Christ to give us sanctuary and to be a sanctuary for Christ.

The sermon text is from John 3:14-21, which includes the famous John 3:16. We will be focusing on Jesus’s saying, “And this is the judgment: that light has come into the world, but people preferred darkness to light.”

Take some time and meditate on the hymns (full verses can be found to the hymns at www.hymnsite.org), and the text for this Sunday. I look forward to worshiping with you!

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

FYI, it's hymnsite.com, not .org (that takes you to a squatter site).

And I don't think it even qualifies as "FYI", but I guess I'm bragging by connection when I point out that the site is run by a guy from the church I grew up attending in Houston (his daughter was good friends with my sister). Small world, eh?

11:44 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home