Thursday, June 22, 2006

A Lighter Note

Sometimes this blog can be...well, a bit stuffy.

A friend suggested I post this, so I will.

Our church always moves to an earlier service time for the summer, a tradition that started when the sanctuary wasn't air-conditioned, so it was far better at 10 than 11. So even though we now meet in climate-controlled comfort, it's a tradition that kind of stuck.

But the first service when the time changes is invariably forgotten by somebody--someone comes striding up to church at 5 til 11, surprised to see the parking lot full and the closing hymn being sung.

Last year, in an effort to get people to remember the time change, I wrote a song to the tune of The Sound of Music's "Do Re Mi." I handed out the lyrics, which read thus:

Church--it's church!--at ten o'clock!
Church--I can't be late for church!
Church--at ten!--it starts next week!
Church--I surely won't forget!
And if I post this on my fridge,
I won't forget to get to church!
Or I could put this in my car,
which will bring me back to church (at ten o'clock)...

This year, to provide something a bit new, I wrote one to the tune of "Sunrise, Sunset" from Fiddler on the Roof:

Why did I miss the pastor's sermon?
Why did I miss the offering?
Why did I miss the songs I love to sing?

Why did I miss the choir singing?
Why did I forget the pastor's call?
Guess I'm not early this week after all...

Sunrise, Sunset
Now church starts at ten...
Since spring has given way to summer,
Church will start early once again.

Fifth-century Church father Basil of Caesearea said that when a song is sung in church, God "adds the grace of music to the truth of doctrine. Charmed by what we hear, we pluck the fruit of the words without realizing it."

Maybe this year everyone will remember...

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Your blog has officially passed Job's as my favorite that is not written by my girlfriend. I will talk to you soon.

1:11 AM  
Blogger Rocket Surgeon, Phd said...

Challenge:

Next year "Church, Church Baby"

Stop!
Collaborate and worship
Church is at 10, ain't that perfect?

3:00 PM  
Blogger Rocket Surgeon, Phd said...

Challenge:

Next year - 'Church, Church Baby'

Stop!
Collaborate and worship
10 is back, ain't that perfect?

--

You better be on the scene
ya know what I mean?

3:02 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home